AUTHOR.CALHO: If I didn't write it, I would be hitch hiking cross country to Maine and then Alaska in that order. While taking frequent breaks to spread leaflets. And sit in diners. And write on things because I wasn't at a computer. I may still do that in a few years. Writing this also helps me forget about and better understand the limitations of being human, and keeps me busy enough to allow me no free time to burn the world down.

THEMATIC.ABOUT : Collapse often. The things that hold people together and hold them apart and scatter brains. The things that make thoughts go boom. The things that ooh and aah and [expletive deleted]. Sometimes poking around the margins where responsibility ends and the only one to look to is the Original Equipment Manufacturer and say "but, I already pressed 9 for more options and the menus are exactly the same. Can you just replace it?" The answer will be: "please hold." Sometimes hanging out in dark corners. Sometimes following the train tracks. Looking for ways out and ways in and all the while sharing the things seen and heard and done and drawn and written and scorched and healed and teased and caged and dreamed along the way.

4/13/17

Dear (_____)

Dear Weed,

Smoking you an hour or two before bed has yielded me the most fulfilling sleep I've experienced in quite some time.  I'm not used to waking up at 8, rested and alert.  At first, the sensation was alarming.  I had so many questions and was sure there was no way I would make it through the day on a measly six hours of sleep.  I scoffed at the idea that I could function without at least eight, preferably 10 to 12, hours of sleep.  I'm not going to make a habit of sleeping less than 8 hours, but I was surprised to still be sharp well into the evening.

Imagine that: no pills, no concoctions, not a 12 pack or half a fifth of liquor, not five cigarettes and some herbal tea.  A spliff or two and I slept through the night without waking up to a point where I was inside myself again and had to start all over to try to fall asleep.  I wanted to ask you if that's what most people feel like when they wake up.  Part of me is still amazed.  I know the more I use you, the more tolerant my brain chemistry will be and I'll probably have to up the intake little by little to hunt down and capture that elusive deep rest.  I don't mind.

The sensation reminds me of when we use alcohol to escape the present's grim realities and the past's ghosts that simply will not die and you wake up 3 days after a bender and realize the hangover has finally cleared and you can actually remember anew what it feels like to not be hungover.  So many days in a row, it becomes normal and what should be normal is a shock to the system.  The body's biochemistry is a frustrating, fine, machine.

Thanks for helping me sleep inside all of its damned moving parts for a few hours.  I couldn't do it without you.

ever yours,

     SmokeyDokey


No comments:

Post a Comment