AUTHOR.CALHO: If I didn't write it, I would be hitch hiking cross country to Maine and then Alaska in that order. While taking frequent breaks to spread leaflets. And sit in diners. And write on things because I wasn't at a computer. I may still do that in a few years. Writing this also helps me forget about and better understand the limitations of being human, and keeps me busy enough to allow me no free time to burn the world down.

THEMATIC.ABOUT : Collapse often. The things that hold people together and hold them apart and scatter brains. The things that make thoughts go boom. The things that ooh and aah and [expletive deleted]. Sometimes poking around the margins where responsibility ends and the only one to look to is the Original Equipment Manufacturer and say "but, I already pressed 9 for more options and the menus are exactly the same. Can you just replace it?" The answer will be: "please hold." Sometimes hanging out in dark corners. Sometimes following the train tracks. Looking for ways out and ways in and all the while sharing the things seen and heard and done and drawn and written and scorched and healed and teased and caged and dreamed along the way.

12/20/14

A Very Confused Moment

Confuzzlry.   It's not bad, but it's not good either.  I took my truck for a routine fill up.  I've yet to put a full tank in her and I thought the day might be the day to push the needle full to "F".  It was not the day.

Traffic was terrible and all of the legal side routes were taken and you can't hop curbs no matter your clearance level.  I stared at the curbs.  My head up display showed the alternate route and I had to keep pressing cancel, breathe easy, and listen to radio.  Clutch out.  Clutch in.  Clutch out.  Clutch in.  Clutch out.   Oh, wait!  No, nothing moving.   Clutch out.  Clutch out.  It was not my day to be had and I was not going to be had on this day.  No sir.  No thanks.  I'll wait.

Get to the pumps and every stall is taken and my baby is thirsty as hell.  Even I can taste it.  I set it to hover mode and blocked all ways of ingress and egress.  Except one.  Sure enough that stall cleared out and I took two glances and shot the gap backwards.  Full reverse!  Aye aye, captain.  I can't hear you!  Aye aye, captain!

Straight into the path of a little rabbit car.  We had a face to mirror to windshield to face show down.  One of the times when having a giant rusty hook hitch bolted to your truck frame helps.  It's that extra incentive to "do you really want this through the hood of your car?"  I slipped her in to the open stall, easy as cake.  Or pie.  Take your pick.  The point is, if you talk to her well, the battleship has hunter killer maneuverability.  You have to suss it out though.  And know her limits.

Gassing up, my eyes went upward too.  I started to day dream while fueling the tank and I really wished for rain or at least snow, but I'll settle for rain.  I heard it.  Rattle rattle rattle asphalt rattle and I smiled very wide.  And then I noticed that it was not raining.  The woman on the other side of the pump was staring at me.  I smiled and winked back.  She kept staring.

That's when I realized gasoline was pouring all over the side of the truck and collecting in a great pool beneath my feet.  "Oh?"  is what I said.  It kept pouring.  I looked at her and she wasn't staring anymore.  I looked at the sky and it was in fact not raining.  I looked at the front tank's hatch and it was indeed pouring gasoline everywhere beginning six dollars ago.

I cut the feed and adjusted the nozzle and gasket.  Perfect pour.  She started drinking real well with no spills.  I cast my eyes around to see who else saw and then I realized everybody gets one.  Two fudges in five years is not bad.  It's not good, but it's not bad either.

How'd you die?  Freak gasoline fight accident.  I couldn't help chuckling while I pulled away.  A good horse is a happy horse.  The things I do for you, truck.  You owe me one.

The cockpit reeks of gasoline now.  No shoes in the house!




///Miss Kittin - "Happy Violentine"  .... do you like me [y] [n].  my truck gets moody.  so do i.  red aura'd capital underscore night terrors

No comments:

Post a Comment